Tuesday, August 07, 2007

alpha seeks beta

I read this article on critique group dependency at the Charis Connection and thought, "Yeah, that's one reason I haven't joined one," even though these days most writers are encouraged to do so.

I do belong to a wonderful little writer's group called The Wayside Inn Writer's Society; we're currently writing The Romany Epistles together. But we're not really a critique group. We're a bunch of friends who love to write and enjoy reading each other's stuff. We encourage and sometimes pitch in with brainstorming and advice, but we don't really critique.

However, lately I've been thinking about asking a small handful of people to be my regular beta readers--people who will read through a manuscript when I finish it and give me their impressions, critiques, etc. I'd like to step outside of my writer's group for that, because even in our merry little circle, it's easy to fall prey to some of the weird ideas and acronyms that plague critters.

I need people who are, above all, honest.

This should be interesting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica Ridley said...

I have a small group of critique partners, whose input is invaluable to me. But that's just me--Nora Roberts, for example, has never used a CP. So you gotta do what's right for you. I do think it's a good idea to at least have a beta reader glance at the MS at some point before sending it out. And I wish you the best of luck finding a great one! =)

11:01 a.m.  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Rachel, Hopefully you've found some who can do this. I think it's a great idea.

But it's certainly wonderful that you have your own group together like that, and I think surely very rare.

9:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home