Saturday, November 11, 2006

this Book

I've been out of the "usual life" loop for a little while, so I'm enjoying getting back in. Alexis and I went to Bible study tonight (a sort of college & careers group based out of our church, but with an interesting mix of people at varying stages of life). We've been going through the Book of Hebrews, and it's really been good. I just love getting into Scripture with a bunch of people and sinking our teeth into it, verse by verse.

I'm just so amazed by Scripture... I think I'm learning to appreciate it more and more. There was a time in my life when my spirituality (for lack of a better word) was largely based in "experiences" with God. I had a very emotional connection with Him. I'm not downplaying that... it was incredibly formative, and I still thank God for that time. And then things dried up. I fully believe that God orchestrated that "desert time." And He promised me (when I begged for an explanation) that I would learn that "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." Life since that time has been a deep and holy lesson in living by the word: eating it, standing on it, studying it, embracing it. He's given us SO much in it.

The last year has been really rich in Bible study. At the moment I'm studying on my own (Luke... I've been going through the Gospels), listening to an interesting sermon series on Romans, and reading through Hebrews with my Bible study group. I love the way everything fits together, how more and more pieces fall into place all the time. Our discussion tonight brought to memory a verse I read when I studied Leviticus last year, and that verse suddenly snapped into focus for me for the first time. Not only that, but it applied to what I read in Romans... and something Jesus said... and a discussion I was having with a friend the other day.

I know I'm rambling... I'm just impressed with God all over again tonight, and I thought I'd mention it :).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home