Monday, October 30, 2006

Tales of the Hopelessly Homeschooled

Just thought I'd give y'all a sneak peek at the book I'm currently lining up for publication. My cousin Carolyn and I started writing it years ago--finishing it's a little scary, but it feels good :). It is a collection of short, humourous essays reflecting on life in large homeschooled families, and it's currently titled Tales of the Hopelessly Homeschooled. I don't care for the title and plan to do something ingenius to fix it (involving YOU, O highly unaware world of homeschool families).

I had fun putting the Tables of Contents together with quotes from the chapters yesterday, so here's a look at them:


Table of Contents


Introduction


Part One: Make Way for Livin'


1. Ontario: The Journey Begins

The peace was quickly shattered by a loud bellow, "Are there any more small stuffables? Last call for small stuffables! No? All right, then... EVERYBODY IN!"

2. We Wish You a Currey Christmas

No sooner was the tree decorated than it fell over, flooding the living room with the contents of the tree-bucket and breaking several ornaments. Oh, did I neglect to mention that my father was stuck underneath the tree?

3. Freezing At Eighty-Five Degrees

Polar bears, seals, and naked mole rats are suited to their environments. People are not.

4. Hobbits Shall Not Suffer Alone

It is a frightening thing to realize that one's cousins and sisters do not need a wake up call. It makes one think of plots being hatched.

5. Can I Have...?

Babysitting is like playing tennis. The kids stand on one side of the net and fire requests, and the babysitter leaps, dives, and swishes to throw the answers right back before something unfortunate happens.

6. The Rutabaga Fest
We Thomsons descended on the world of trade shows like Attila the Hun with a sales pitch.


There is, of course, much more to come. I'll be posting actual book excerpts here shortly, so check back or, better yet, subscribe to this blog (the link is on the right).

In other news, I'm thinking of moving this blog.



Technorati: , , , ,

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait until I can read the whole book. :)

PS I ordered the first bunch of The Mercenary's Marriage. So, I shall be sending you your copy as soon as the box gets here. :)

12:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read more. 'Twill be wonderful, I'm sure.

6:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home