Wednesday, June 11, 2008

sabbatical

Last week was crazy.

I'm not even sure why it was so bad ... I had a lot to do, yes, but I've had that much to do every day for a long time! The weekend came, the weekend went, Monday was even worse than the previous week. My stress levels were through the roof.

So yesterday I did something unusual: nothing.

I slept in for a very long time. I prayed, I read my Bible, I took a long walk in the sunshine and felt the glorious breeze. I talked to a friend. I prayed some more. I sang hymns while washing the dishes. I sat on the couch and read a book (Being the Body by Charles Colson and Ellen Vaughn, if you're curious.)

I did all of that nothing on purpose, because I felt very strongly that I couldn't take another week like last week. I really needed to refocus, rest, and seek God. Today I am up bright and early, with a to-do list a mile long and my perspective and energy fully restored.

Last Sunday at my wonderful church, Pastor Aaron talked about God's idea of Sabbath, which simply means ceasing to work. Yesterday I knew God wanted me to take one, even if Tuesday isn't exactly the day of traditional observance. He takes good care of me, and I'm grateful :).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home