Wednesday, April 23, 2008

sick days

Several years ago, I worked at a daycare. When I got sick (which wasn't often), I called my boss and told her that I couldn't come in. She wasn't interested in contracting whatever plague I had and spreading it through the ranks anyway, so she invariably said "ok" and found someone to cover for me.

That done, I got to lay around home, doing absolutely nothing and having not a care in the world.

Now that I work at home, I have a different sort of boss: the Almighty Deadline. And the thing about deadlines is that they do not go away, nor can anyone cover them for you, nor do they listen to my bronchially-maladjusted pleadings and decide they don't want to catch my cold. They are inexorable.

I am sick (rather very) this week, as my overflowing Kleenex-laden waste basket will testify, but deadlines still loom. The nice thing, though, is that even though I have to go to work, "work" can mean laying in bed all day, typing from a prostrate position. It means nice breezes coming through my window, sage tea simmering on the stove, and a sister who brings me cookies every now and then.

Things could be worse :).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that! I know the feeling. I too bloggeed about being sick and working from home. I'm a CPA and caught a cold during tax season. I could work awhile, rest, work some more. I stopped when my head got fuzzy, since doing a tax return while feverish is NOT a good idea! I was not as productive as usual, but I could still meet with clients (I didn't shake their hands, though), work on tax returns, etc so the day was not a complete loss.

I love working at home!

Carol

10:11 a.m.  
Blogger Brittany Simmons said...

I enjoyed reading about your being sick. Not that I'm glad you're sick, but you wrte about it interestingly. I hope you're feeling better soon, dear!

12:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home