Monday, January 28, 2008

a new year

I like new years. I like the sense of beginning again, even though I'm in the middle of so many things. I have projects to finish and others to follow up; dreams to pursue and relationships to keep up. None of these things are really new. But they deserve to be treated as though they are. They deserve to be treated as though they're full of promise and yet-to-be-revealed secrets. They deserve my attention and excitement.

It's true of all my writing projects, of my spiritual walk, my family and friendships.

Has it ever struck you as funny that the new year comes in January--in the dead of winter? Here we are, during the darkest, coldest, most dreary days of the year. Yet we're asked to celebrate "newness." And we can do it honestly. After all, spring is coming... it's coming soon!

So too do all the worthy things in our lives have surprises and new growth waiting to shoot out and make our lives green when we least expect it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Brittany Simmons said...

I love your Inklings posts.

2:55 p.m.  
Blogger Rachel Starr Thomson said...

Good! Because one of my new year goals is to post here more often ;).

3:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home