Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Post-Eragon

I saw it. The best part of the whole night was watching Alexis throw fits on the end of the row... poor child, she was reading the book that very morning and so cared passionately about how much the movie warped it. I, who read the book two weeks ago, was much more calm and collected. It was still a disappointing rendition, but I learned a few things by comparing the book with the movie.

Most of all I learned that the key to the book--the thing that makes it special--is the relationships, particularly between Eragon and Saphira, and, in a much lesser way, between Eragon and Murtagh (I know that's not one of the key relationships in the story, but bear with me. I think it was one of the more original elements in the book).

The movie did a bad, bad job with the relationships. It sacrificed relationship for flashy action scenes, and that was a big mistake. It sucked out the heart of the story and left us with a body going through the motions.

Let this be a lesson to us: write relationships. They matter.


Technorati: reviews, eragon, books, movies, christopher paolini, fandom, inheritance trilogy, fantasy

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! I saw it and feel exactly the same way! There was really no character development; they don't even show Eregon's personality very well. But I suppose this is just yet another example of the fact that books are better than movies.

2:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. You just saved some of us some $.

8:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like the new Star Wars Trilogy. Relationships is what forms us, drives us, and makes life interesting. What story is interesting without relationships? I see I am going to have to read the book. Cheating by watching the movie only isn't going to work. :) It isn't like I have a good excuse for not reading it. It is sitting on my shelf after all. ;) I just have to find the time.

9:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Relationships are SO important. One thing I've found is that guys tend to focus more on action and girls more on relationships. I'm always trying to make those the main part of my story. It just adds so much. So, I'm guess a woman did not write the screen play to the Eragon movie, lol

12:36 p.m.  
Blogger Robert said...

There's a quote I saw that could sum it up:"Never judge a book by its movie" by J.W. Eagan.

9:09 a.m.  
Blogger Sørina Higgins said...

& what did you think of Narnia? Is there any hope for the rest??

3:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home